Free office suites – all the usual components: word processor, spreadsheet, database, and more:
Something to let you focus on writing:
Citation and reference:
- Mendeley – “Mendeley is a free reference manager and academic social network. Make your own fully-searchable library in seconds, cite as you write, and read and annotate your PDFs on any device.” http://www.mendeley.com
Surviving with Technology:
- Eyes Relax is a utility that helps avoiding eyes-related problems when working at a computer for several hours. http://themech.net/eyesrelax/
- Flux makes the color of your computer’s display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. http://justgetflux.com
- Revo Uninstaller for a complete uninstall, including System Registry entries. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.htm
- Speccy looks inside your computer and shows you exactly what hardware you have.
- Hemmingway Readibility App highlights anything that makes your text hard to read so you can fix it.
- Pro Writing Aid – “ProWritingAid is your free online writing editor and personal writing coach. Of course it checks your grammar but it does much more to help you improve your writing.” I’ve been able to copy a chapter at a time into their Free Version and have great results. If you want the MS Word plugin, that’ll cost you $35/yr.