The Green Smoothie thing looks like a good idea, right? People say it’s a great way to cleanse, to detox. I’d have to agree. So many people achieve healthy, lasting results.
There is a however though. As a full-time food source, it needs to be short term, and there are a rare number of people who are predisposed to Hyperoxaluria, where you don’t eliminate oxilates well. Oxilate Crystals are the danger. These naturally occuring molecules can build up in ANY cell in your body and turn to stones. Of the leafy greens, Collard Greens are lowest – 74 mg/100g. Spinach is the highest – 750mg/100g.
10 days, 21 days even, “should” be safe, but I’m no doctor. Any extreme diet change should be monitored by a qualified health professional. (Honestly, I don’t… ever. Wonder how I’m still kicking and healthy, right? 😉 ) Moderation. There I said it. Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Stop Thyroid Madness gives a list of symptoms of over-doing oxilates:
- painful or inflammed joints, similar to fibromyalgia or arthritis
- burning urine or bowel movements
- vulvodynia – external female genital pain or irritation
- leaky gut or all sorts of other gut problems
- kidney stones i.e. oxalates combine with calcium to form these
- developmental disorders in children, including autism
- hives (rarer than the above)
- chelating of toxic metals like mercury
In cases of extreme overweight, 61 days has been shown to cause extreme health and weight improvement by documentaries such as the award-winning Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.
For my IBS friends, avoid:
- Beet Greens
- Dandelion Greens
- Radiccio Lettuce
- Sugar Snap and Snow Peas
- Plums and prunes
- Never use canned or dried fruits
Bottom line – know yourself. Use a doctor to do that if you haven’t. Most people considering this are doing it for health reasons, so it’s logical to get a health check.
Ready to go forward with it anyway? Alright then. Here is an ever-changing list of good sites for recipes and advice:
And here’s one that claims to fix both the diareaha and constipation versions of IBS:
Alleviate IBS Smoothie